Anual General Meeting have you ever been?

Post anything on here thats not fishing related, provided its clean and legal.

Moderator: Azz25

Have you ever been to an AstwoodBankac AGM in the last 5 years

yes
56%
no
44%

Total votes: 16

steve abac

Anual General Meeting have you ever been?

Postby steve abac » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm

AGM

Pete Hill
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Pete Hill » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:14 pm

No I have never been.
To be honest, unless you have a complaint to make, or you think you have the time and ability to do a better job than the current committee members then I can't see much point in going.
On the other hand it is an excuse to go down the pub for a couple of hours :D

geoff
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby geoff » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Pete Hill wrote:To be honest, unless you have a complaint to make, or you think you have the time and ability to do a better job than the current committee members then I can't see much point in going.
:D

Well Pete, I think that’s a view that a lot of people hold, but how do the committee know what the members want if they don’t go to the AGM.
I'd rather be fishing!

Pete Hill
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby Pete Hill » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Fair point Geoff. I suppose what I was trying to say is that if you are happy with what you are getting out of your membership (as I am) then you don't need to attend the AGM.
So, as a contented member :) I will be stuck in front of the telly that night. :wink:

rogerb
Chairman
Chairman

Postby rogerb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Sorry guys.
I think you are totally out of order making the above statements.
Do you not have any interest in your club our its activities or want to voice an opinion or have any views of improving our club.
Its at a time when you would not be out fishing and to meet other members and your committee.
Reports are given by some committee members of a round up of the last years events etc. etc. trophies are given out to the many winners of matches. You can bring along photos of your last years catches.
Its when you can get up to date info of club matters etc.
We lay on refreshments at the interval and a raffle is held so come get your ass to the AGM and bring along a prize..
YOUR COMMITTEE AND THE MEMBERS WHO ARE INTERESTED WILL BE THERE OR IS IT TOO MUCH TO WRENCH YOURSELF AWAY FROM THE TV.
THE CLUB NEEDS NEW BLOOD ON COMMITTEE GET INVOLVED AND HELP OUT, BUT I SUPPOSE ALL MEMBERS EXPECT THE COMMITTEE TO DO EVERYTHING INCLUDING BANK CLEARING.
Its an enjoyable night so see you all there.
Roger Burton Chairman. :lol: :lol: :lol:

geoff
Forum Stalwart
Forum Stalwart

Postby geoff » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:38 pm

rogerb wrote:Sorry guys.
I think you are totally out of order making the above statements.
Roger Burton Chairman. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that should be sorry guy, not sorry guy’s.

I’m fairly and squarely in your camp Roger
I'd rather be fishing!

Stu
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

Postby Stu » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:58 pm

We know that the majority will not attend, or will not be able to attend, for various reasons, but if you are free I would suggest you pop along even if it's just for;

To get an insight into any developments (you hear about new waters and new rules first at the AGM)
To contribute to the direction and consitutution of the club
To offer any support you may be able to give - but you are under no obligation
To hear reports of how the waters have fished in the past year and see photos of catches
To collect trophies (or as has happened in the past to watch Jason collect most of the trophies!)
To catch up with mates and have a chat over a pint
To support the club through the raffle

and ultimately, even if you are totally satisfied with what the club is doing, just by being there shows your support to the committee and those who make the fisheries available and the matches happen. That alone is reason enough to be there.

Due to family committments I'll get there late again this year, but I'll be there for a pint, a chat and to lose a couple of quid on the raffle!!!

jon burton
Committee Member
Committee Member

Postby jon burton » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Thanks Stu, that is enlightening to know that someone within the club cares and that there is support from members to committee. Its what you do not see (Behind the scenes) that goes unoticed unfortunately but what makes the biggest impacts in our club. As you stated it is nice just to know that members turn up to the agm to support the committe who evidently keep the club running as smooth as poss. :wink:
Skilts/river arrow bailiff

Chris Burton
Head Bailiff
Head Bailiff

Postby Chris Burton » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:56 am

After reading Pete Hills post a couple of weeks ago, I felt like coming off committee. No support to the club or committee. The club doesnt run itself, like Jon said the members dont see what the committee has to do to keep this club running. As a lot of clubs are struggling for members, ABAC is still going strong and its all down to the committee that keeps it going and dont forget we dont get paid for it.

Oh thanks Stu for you comment, it goes a long way.
I love my job it pays for my fishing

Stu
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

Postby Stu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Jon & Chris,

No worries guys, and having been reminded that it's an 8:30 kick-off I should be able to get there at, or very shortly after, the start.

See you later!

Stu
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

Postby Stu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Gents,
Apologies for not getting to the AGM this evening. The best laid plans went off the rails when I answered the phone just as I was about to get in the car. That'll teach me to do that! I have now spent the last hour dealing with a big problem in a charity I am involved.

Return to “General”