Keep net ban!

Post anything on here thats not fishing related, provided its clean and legal.

Moderator: Azz25

lucky me
New forum member
New forum member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 am

Keep net ban!

Postby lucky me » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:28 am

If the club is really serious about protecting the carp from KHV, then keep nets on our pools should be banned - period!

It is just as likely a match angler could cause an infection as a pleasure angler.

Because birds and animals ''do their own thing'' it is probably a waste of time anyway.

I do however agree that a ban is a prudent thing to do, but it should be a blanket ban on all pools.

Why the ban includes rivers I just don't know, it just seems pointless to me!

Why would putting a few roach, dace and chub into a keep net on a river will make any difference at all to the carp within our pools?

There is no logical answer to this part of the keep net ban rule!
Albert T Baker

Azz25
Website Admin
Website Admin
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby Azz25 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:10 am

Personally I agree, the reason our match anglers can still use keep nets is because the match organiser can and has been instructed to ensure all nets are dried out for a minimum period before the match starts whereas there is no way to monitor an individual on their own.

I will raise your concerns at the next committee meeting.

Aaron

lucky me
New forum member
New forum member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby lucky me » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am

I have not seen any movement concerning the keepnet ban on the rivers!

Due to this fact and the loss of the Arrow venue, ABAC will be short three members this coming season.
Albert T Baker

User avatar
hurricane
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 534
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: west midlands

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby hurricane » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:23 pm

Yes,its a normal thing for the powers that be to,make temporary rules that are prudent at the time,this is for the benefit of ALL members but it often becomes a normal part of the rules without any voting by the members.

You can attend the AGM at the Rocklands social club next week and have your say, only problem is that if you wish to have something brought up on the agenda or to put an alternative you must do so in writing 14 days prior to the AGM, problem comes,when only the committee knows whats on the agenda!!!!

This information shoul;d be related to as many mebers as possible,AT LEAST a month before the AGM to enable the members to decide.

I was a member of the committee for 4 years and tried hard to change the" thats the way we do it" attitude,but to no avail, the club relies on its members to survive,I
Please try to attend the AGM and maybe you can get the keepnet ban overturned,its no longer relevant in this area, as for the loss of yet another venue,if you are not a match angler !!!
Take nothing but memories,leave nothing but footprints.

Azz25
Website Admin
Website Admin
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby Azz25 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:28 pm

lucky me wrote:I have not seen any movement concerning the keepnet ban on the rivers!

Due to this fact and the loss of the Arrow venue, ABAC will be short three members this coming season.


The club doesn't want to lose any venue and we are constantly looking for new suitable venues including rivers. It is unfortunate the Arrow had to go and this decision wasn't taken lightly.

There are carp in the river so it would make sense to ban keep nets here as well.

The AGM is this coming Monday and I would welcome you to attend and express your disappointment there.

Aaron

Thegrinder
New forum member
New forum member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:05 am

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby Thegrinder » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Is there still a ban on keepnets on the river Avon . What time is the A G M on Monday Thanks.

Azz25
Website Admin
Website Admin
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby Azz25 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Thegrinder wrote:Is there still a ban on keepnets on the river Avon . What time is the A G M on Monday Thanks.


There is still a ban on all venues.

The AGM starts at 20:00 and is at The Rocklands Social Club, 59 Birchfield Road, Headless Cross, Redditch, B97 4LB.

Hope to see you there.

Aaron

lucky me
New forum member
New forum member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby lucky me » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 am

It is ridiculous to compare the carp in rivers to overstocked carp pools!

And as far as I know, but I may be wrong, there have not been any reports of river carp showing the KHV disease.

River carp are rarely caught and those that fish for them are the type of angler that don't put them in keep nets.
Albert T Baker

Azz25
Website Admin
Website Admin
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby Azz25 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:27 am

lucky me wrote:It is ridiculous to compare the carp in rivers to overstocked carp pools!

And as far as I know, but I may be wrong, there have not been any reports of river carp showing the KHV disease.

River carp are rarely caught and those that fish for them are the type of angler that don't put them in keep nets.


How is it ridiculous? Yes the chances of catching a carp on the river are less than say Bradley Green, but it is still a risk.

Aaron

lucky me
New forum member
New forum member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby lucky me » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:10 am

The risk is so small that it is highly unlikely it will ever happen.
As I said before, I have never even heard of a case of KHV being reported in river carp.
If this is the case and it is not in river fish, there is no risk at all.
By far the greatest risk and totally uncontrollable is the risk of water birds carrying any water related diseases.
Anyhow, all that has to be done is, ban the retention in a keepnet of any size of carp when fishing a river venue, problem solved.
By all means stick to your ''over the top rules'' and we will stick to our choice of not agreeing and lapse our membership for the coming season.
Albert T Baker

Azz25
Website Admin
Website Admin
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby Azz25 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm

lucky me wrote:The risk is so small that it is highly unlikely it will ever happen.
As I said before, I have never even heard of a case of KHV being reported in river carp.
If this is the case and it is not in river fish, there is no risk at all.
By far the greatest risk and totally uncontrollable is the risk of water birds carrying any water related diseases.
Anyhow, all that has to be done is, ban the retention in a keepnet of any size of carp when fishing a river venue, problem solved.
By all means stick to your ''over the top rules'' and we will stick to our choice of not agreeing and lapse our membership for the coming season.


River carp are no different to lake carp, they just live in a river, they are still same species and susceptible to KHV. There is still a risk, even if it was minute there is still a risk.

As a club we can't ban wildlife from venues, we can't control what birds land on our venues.

Even if you were to ban carp in keepnets at one venue, how could you police it?

It isn't a permanent ban and could be lifted at any time.

We don't want to lose any members, is it the fact you can't use a keepnet or that they are allowed on club matches?

Aaron

lucky me
New forum member
New forum member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby lucky me » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:22 pm

We are leaving as I already explained because of the Wixford water loss (which was the main reason we joined) and the ban on keepnets in rivers.

Here is an extra reason for thinking the total ban is ''over-the-top''

You say there is some risk in allowing keepnets on rivers, but I say if you look at it logically there is absolutely no risk to ABAC pools from using a keepnet on a river venue.

The reason is, an ABAC pleasure angler would still NOT be able to use a keepnet on any pool under a more selective ban and rightly so.

This obviously means that there is no risk at all from his/her keepnet because it will never see the two types of fishery.

It is only an ABAC match angler who would be able to use a keepnet on both river and pool.

As long as the pre-match keepnet checks are up-to-standard, again, there should be no angler related risk.
Albert T Baker

Azz25
Website Admin
Website Admin
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby Azz25 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 pm

lucky me wrote:We are leaving as I already explained because of the Wixford water loss (which was the main reason we joined) and the ban on keepnets in rivers.

Here is an extra reason for thinking the total ban is ''over-the-top''

You say there is some risk in allowing keepnets on rivers, but I say if you look at it logically there is absolutely no risk to ABAC pools from using a keepnet on a river venue.

The reason is, an ABAC pleasure angler would still NOT be able to use a keepnet on any pool under a more selective ban and rightly so.

This obviously means that there is no risk at all from his/her keepnet because it will never see the two types of fishery.

It is only an ABAC match angler who would be able to use a keepnet on both river and pool.

As long as the pre-match keepnet checks are up-to-standard, again, there should be no angler related risk.


I think you may of misunderstood me, I never said there is any risk to our pools by using a keepnet on the river. I said there is a risk to the river, as there are carp all along the Avon.

With the amount of people who fished the Arrow and with the owners asking for a rent increase, we have to decide if it is financially viable for the club to rent it. The Arrow has also suffered with pollution and predation.

We are actively looking for a replacement and still have the Avon.


Aaron

lucky me
New forum member
New forum member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby lucky me » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:05 am

I give up!
Albert T Baker

lucky me
New forum member
New forum member
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Keep net ban!

Postby lucky me » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:42 am

lucky me wrote:I give up!


The reason ''I give up'' is I think you are now ''clutching at straws'' and that I did not misunderstand what you were saying.

I believe you just thought it up because you know you have lost the argument.

Any river water owner or renter has absolutely no control over keepnets being used on the other bank (BAA opp Abotts Salford) or above or below their waters.

So your latest argument of protecting river carp is just plain stupid!

As I said before ''I GIVE UP''.
Albert T Baker


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests