whats the lake like

Post anything regarding this venue in here or just to say how your day went.
IMPORTANT!!!
NO FISHING Allowed on this pool between September 1st and February 1st inclusive.

Moderator: Azz25

royuk
New forum member
New forum member

whats the lake like

Postby royuk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:39 pm

im thinking of fishing this lake on sunday whats the best bates to use on here and would it be better to fish the island

Stu
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

Postby Stu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Roy,
It would be better for one of the carpers to give you an insight into this lake; I dont fish it much. It is generally a difficult big fish water, although there are some good carp (to 30lbs I believe) plus big tench and bream. There are also smaller silvers. Location (and patience) is key to catching the carp.

As for the silvers, there was a club match on their last weekend and I am told it was difficult all round, with low weights and the top weights including a bonus fish.

The carpers generally use the usual multiple rod/boilie/pellet approach, while for silvers use either the pole or wag close in or feeder with groundbait and maggot/caster/worm.

So it all depends on what you want from your fishing. If you want to wait for that lump carp/tench/bream it is ideal, if you want constant runs then head to Bradley Green, if you want to catch silvers go to Wood Bev, Cann Lane, Alvechurch, Swan Pool or try one of the river fisheries.

Cheers!

royuk
New forum member
New forum member

Postby royuk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:50 pm

yes im going up with my carp rods and spod rod ill have a good look around before i start to bait up and then set up. so we'll see how it goes lol

drynet
New forum member
New forum member

Postby drynet » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:58 am

leave the spod rod at home.

Cyprio
Top Class Forum Poster
Top Class Forum Poster

Postby Cyprio » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:14 pm

drynet wrote:leave the spod rod at home.
True , the spod could do more harm than good if you are only out on a short session , but there are times when it can be productive. The thing to do is have a look round when you get there Roy, if you can see fish near the surface or in the edges then the spod is not the option to go for. The fish in there are spooky so with as little disturbance as possible you will only help stack the odds in your favour. Cyprio.
Effort = reward ..............sometimes!!!!

royuk
New forum member
New forum member

Postby royuk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:46 pm

had a good look around at the start nothing at all on the top spodded the island went on a bolt rig nothing at all only weed lol so went to zig rigs but only had a couple of knocks over the day :( oh well not my day

Cyprio
Top Class Forum Poster
Top Class Forum Poster

Postby Cyprio » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:02 pm

royuk wrote:had a good look around at the start nothing at all on the top spodded the island went on a bolt rig nothing at all only weed lol so went to zig rigs but only had a couple of knocks over the day :( oh well not my day
Nevermind , you cant expect to crack the place on day one, it does take a lot of time and perserverence to be able to catch consistently on there. I know from trial and error the carp in there do not seem to respond well to zigs, that doesnt mean to say they they wouldnt work full stop, just not in my experience. Better luck next time, Cyprio.
Effort = reward ..............sometimes!!!!

RogerMabey
New forum member
New forum member

Baits

Postby RogerMabey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:47 pm

Stu wrote:Roy,
It would be better for one of the carpers to give you an insight into this lake; I dont fish it much. It is generally a difficult big fish water, although there are some good carp (to 30lbs I believe) plus big tench and bream. There are also smaller silvers. Location (and patience) is key to catching the carp.

As for the silvers, there was a club match on their last weekend and I am told it was difficult all round, with low weights and the top weights including a bonus fish.

The carpers generally use the usual multiple rod/boilie/pellet approach, while for silvers use either the pole or wag close in or feeder with groundbait and maggot/caster/worm.

So it all depends on what you want from your fishing. If you want to wait for that lump carp/tench/bream it is ideal, if you want constant runs then head to Bradley Green, if you want to catch silvers go to Wood Bev, Cann Lane, Alvechurch, Swan Pool or try one of the river fisheries.

Cheers!
I have just rejoined the club after a break of a few years and I just wanted clarification. In the joining pack there is a list of permitted baits. Boilies are not included. Is this correct or are there exclusions? I don't want to start out by breaking the rules.

honsec
Secretary
Secretary

Postby honsec » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:33 pm

Boilies and grounbait ARE allowed, we had a hicup with the printing!

Nigel
As 3/4 of the earth is water and only 1/4 is land we should all spend 3 times as much time fishing as we do gardening :-)

RogerMabey
New forum member
New forum member

Postby RogerMabey » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:47 pm

honsec wrote:Boilies and grounbait ARE allowed, we had a hicup with the printing!

Nigel

Thanks for your swift reply Nigel. I presume this applies to all waters?
Does maize come under the heading of sweet corn (same but larger)?

Return to “Abbots Salford”