The Glorious 16th - NOT!

Post anything regarding this venue in here or just to say how your day went.
IMPORTANT!!!
NO FISHING Allowed on this pool between September 1st and February 1st inclusive.

Moderator: Azz25

Ian Kings
Forum member
Forum member

The Glorious 16th - NOT!

Postby Ian Kings » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:55 am

My Wife (very understanding Wife) dropped me off on the bank at 05:30 and as I was having to hump all my gear I chose a near peg; peg 17.

It looked great for trotting a stick as it was clear and open on both sides but more so on the left, which was ideal.

Once set up I came across my first disappointment of the day, my new Abu 706! As I was fishing light on a 2lb main line and 1.7lb hook length the main line would not release past the pick up pin so I had to constantly release it manually before every cast :x .

I trotted the stick for 4 hours without a single bite and then switched to a maggot feeder over to the far reeds which also produced nothing. I returned to trotting again where I produced the only fish of the day on the river; a bloody Minnow.

At least it wasn't just me, as there was a chap across on the BAA stretch who also found it hard going, but he had one chublet.

At 14:00 I decided to pack up and move up to the lake to which this nearly killed me.

As my Wife wasn't coming back to pick me up 'till around 18:00 I had no choice but to make the move, but this turned out to be another one fish exercise also, with a small perch after about 3 hours.

The only thing that actually saved the day was while on the lake there where a pair of Kingfishers flying around which at first one of them landed about 4ft away on a tree branch to my right, but a few minutes later one of them flew in and landed in between my 2nd and 3rd rod ring about 3ft away form me and perched for about 10 seconds; lovely :D

All in all I think I built the 16th up a little too much which leads to a big disappointment when it all goes pear shaped.

Ian

Diwrnach
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby Diwrnach » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:59 am

Didnt get chance to go down unfortunately, but did fish the river the very last day of the season and managed a few nice bream right at the bottom of the stretch under some trees, but was actualy going for a barbel.

Might head to the stour on Sunday and see if thats fishing, cant seem to get much info on it though.

Return to “Abbots Salford”