A couple of issues!

Post anything regarding this venue in here or just to say how your day went.
IMPORTANT!!!
NO FISHING Allowed on this pool between September 1st and February 1st inclusive.

Moderator: Azz25

Cyprio
Top Class Forum Poster
Top Class Forum Poster

A couple of issues!

Postby Cyprio » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Right , i have got a couple of issues that i feel need mentioning and hopefully addressing , so here goes!

Firstly , it was noted at the weekend just gone by myself and another member that there seems to be a lack of unhooking mats being used on the lake. Basically on this occasion a member was seen to catch and release a carp of a decent size and when another member walked passed the angler it was mentioned in passing about the lack of unhooking mat , and the guys response was along the lines of "well there is plenty of long grass". Now , that to me is a piss poor excuse in this day and age just for the sake of bringing AT LEAST a small roll up mat to put a carp , after all , those of us that are regular on the lake have gone to great effort in years passed to try and make sure the carp are in the best condition possible.
Correct me if i am wrong but i am sure there is nothing in the rules that states an unhooking mat is required on this venue , im sure people will agree that this needs looking at.

Secondly , is an issue regarding the top two swims of the lake before the out of bounds area (shallows).
It seems that someone , maybe the gamekeeper , has taken it upon themselves to move the sign marking the last fishable peg and placing it 2 swims lower down by where the fence is. In all the years i have fished the lake those last 2 swims have existed , and i can only assume that the new gamekeeper feels he needs more of the lake to feed the ducks , obviously the top end of the lake where the feeding bin is situated isnt enough. The last thing we need is 2 less swims to fish having already lost the fishing rights for half the season.

Rant over anyway , but 2 things that needed mentioning i think you will agree , Regards , Adam.
Effort = reward ..............sometimes!!!!

David Green
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby David Green » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Firstly having been a regular on the ASL and holding a Night Permit for five seasons I fished this weekend along with Adam and I have to totally agree with both of his points. Fish welfare is the most important thing certainly more important than the capture itself.
Adequate sized unhooking mat, should be a must and carp care kit as well.

Azz25
Website Admin
Website Admin

Postby Azz25 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:38 pm

Totally agree with point 1. I'm sure something could be added to the rules including min net size and line etc,and a sign put up. Did you notice what car they were driving? (Email it if you don't want to say here).

As for the sign, I removed the one put up by Dave as the gamekeeper kept moving it, are you saying he has put up his own? If so I wouldn't worry to much about it, you know where the club has stated we can fish.

dougie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

a couple of issues

Postby dougie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:03 pm

I have to confess that I was the member who spoke to the angler without a mat. He was very blaze about the matter, stating that there was plenty of grass to put his catch on. Regretfully I didn't overly challenge him as I didn't want confrontation. In hind sight I wish I had as I also noticed a net of no more than 18" square being used to land a 15lb common with could easily have been much bigger.
I personally think - no mat, no fishing!!! And a minimum size net!!! And to enforce this, the regulars should be empowered to ask a member to reel in if he is not using the correct equipment.
Where is my luncheon meat??

Cyprio
Top Class Forum Poster
Top Class Forum Poster

Postby Cyprio » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:06 pm

The size of landing net was the other thing I forgot to mention , the net being used was a pan style landing net with a carp literally doubled up within it , again no acceptable in my book and such a net could ultimately be responsible for seriously deformed carp.
I think on this venue a set of rules need to be drawn up , such as unhooking mats to be used at all times , a minimum size landing net , a minimum breaking strain line and perhaps carp care kit also.

As for the sign , it's not the first time this season that I have had to move it back to its rightful place , it keeps appearing by the fence next to the swim that sits opposite the oak tree. I know last season it was mentioned to someone that when the ducks are put on the lake could we vacate the top 2 swims. They have got more than enough room at the upper part of the lake for feeding etc but still insist on feeding ducks in front of designated swims. This has NEVER been an issue in years passed. I must add that no ducks have been put on at present.

Regards , Adam.

Andyfv1
Forum member
Forum member

Postby Andyfv1 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:01 pm

not everyone who fish's AS lake intend to catch the carp,but rather the bream roach pearch etc so to suggest that such members need to go out and purchase all this "carping" kit you is a bit much dont you think,given the cost of giant nets,drop off leads carp med kits etc etc

i dont know what it is about some that fish asl but they do come across as elitist and better than the rest of us fishing peasants

i know how to take care of fish,as do most members,sometimes it can be "all the gear and no idea"

enjoy yourselves,im off to the river 😊😊

Cyprio
Top Class Forum Poster
Top Class Forum Poster

Postby Cyprio » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:45 pm

Your right , not everyone targets the carp on the lake , but do you not think it good practice to take at least an unhooking mat , after all the lake does hold decent sizes of species other than carp.
There is nothing "elitest" about having the best interests of our quarry at heart surely?

Have fun on the river!

Azz25
Website Admin
Website Admin

Postby Azz25 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:50 pm

You don't have to intend to catch a carp to catch one, and if there is a slight chance you may you should be prepared.

Nothing elitist about it at all, it's called fish care. When I catch a fish (which isn't very often lately) I want it to go back in the condition it was so I can catch it again when it is bigger.

I have a cradle as I can put a fish in it and not have to worry about it flapping about, that doesn't mean everyone has to spend £50+ on one as you can get a decent mat for less than half that.

David Green
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby David Green » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Firstly again in total agreement with the fish care and respect, not sure why that should be called elitist ? . Let's be frank some people deem fishing as cruel and barbaric so in doing our sport are we wrong in at least trying to give our quarry the utmost respect and at least try to maintain there safe existence.
Now having just looked through my club book Maps page 2, Species Specimen Carp,Tench and Bream all of which demand full respect and care. But remember this applys to all species. The club may need to explain this point in greater detail as I am sure what they mean is that Specimens mean Specimens.

David Green
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby David Green » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:22 pm

Just to recap on the main point at the start of this blog a very basic unhooking mat that at least would cover carp, bream and tench can be purchased from Fishing Republic now at Portway outside Redditch the costly price of £4.95
Hope this info is of help?.

dougie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

a couple of issues

Postby dougie » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:46 pm

Well I guess being a member of the elitest club means I will have to wear a ferking Kevin Nash tie in future. Have you seen the cost of olive green tie's these days??? £1.95 is only £3 less than I paid for a nice comfy basic mat for my occasional catches which I now use to kneel on when I unhook a good fish on a proper mat.
If anyone fancies an hour at Earlswood Lakes at my expense I will catch you half a dozen carp between 10 & 20lb and you will see very clearly what the incorrect equipment does to big carp.

dougie
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

a couple of issues

Postby dougie » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:01 pm

Oh, I forgot to say, as I left ASL this morning I noticed a CARP angler with a net of no more than 12" round!!!

Cyprio
Top Class Forum Poster
Top Class Forum Poster

Postby Cyprio » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:17 pm

](*,) ](*,)

David Green
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby David Green » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:32 pm

Ouch ?

Azz25
Website Admin
Website Admin

Postby Azz25 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Keep you moaning lot happy :D

Return to “Abbots Salford”