V.B.S.

Whether its regarding bank clearing, work parties or just suggestions for the good and benefit of the club, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: Azz25

hurricane
Site Admin
Site Admin

V.B.S.

Postby hurricane » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:37 am

Dear angler,

Thank you for your expression of interest in the new Voluntary Bailiff Service (VBS) for the Midlands Region.

I am Kevin Pearson, the newly-appointed Regional Enforcement Manager for Angling Trust, covering the 10 Midlands counties of Shropshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Gloucestershire, West Midlands, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire. It is a part-time role with many responsibilities, one of which is to set up and manage Phase 1 of VBS to go live in March 2016.

Phase 1 of VBS will be run by Angling Trust and will include induction, training and some equipment/badged clothing for volunteers. It is not full bailiffing and could be compared to a ‘watch scheme’ where volunteers act as the eyes and ears for EA Fisheries Enforcement Officers, reporting back matters of interest and being a visible presence on the bank. For those who want to progress further, Phase 2 of the service will be considered, where suitable candidates could be selected as full volunteers for the EA and be empowered to check rod licences and support fisheries operations in the future. This would also be a stepping stone for candidates who might be interested in applying for a job role within the EA at a later date. Phase 2 is not planned for the region yet but will be managed in due course by the Environment Agency.

I have attached some documents for your attention. The VBS candidate information form provides details about the service and links to some videos which might be of interest to you. The application form is self-explanatory and asks you to complete the details, answer the questions and return it to me as an email attachment. The declaration form asks about previous convictions. Applicants will not be barred from applying for this role if they have convictions which are spent and/or irrelevant to the role. Please answer honestly and this information will be treated confidentially. If you have a current DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) form through your occupation and you are willing to share this with Angling Trust, please let us know on the application form.

A couple of very important factors to consider when applying for this position:

- Applicants MUST be members of Angling Trust. This is an inflexible requirement of the Environment Agency for insurance purposes. I would urge all anglers to join the AT in any case as it is our governing body and represent the interests of all anglers and clubs so that we can preserve angling for the future.

- Applicants need to be computer literate up to a standard where they can use email and log in to the VBS website to enter details of patrols carried out or information for the EA to pick up and act upon.

Once I have carried out the process and have a list of candidates, I will send out further details of the first induction day for the Midlands. Provisionally, I can tell you that is planned for Saturday 20th February 2016 at a suitable venue near Droitwich, Worcestershire. It will be a full day and candidates will receive expenses for their attendance.

Please consider all of the information carefully before applying. We appreciate your interest and want your help to provide good support for fisheries enforcement across the country, but remember, it is not quite the same as club bailiffing and carrying out this role in partnership with the Environment Agency means that there are stricter rules on Health & Safety, conduct and accountability when you are representing Angling Trust in the public domain. You would also be asked to sign a Fisheries Enforcement Support Service agreement which would include details of the Discipline and Grievance procedure. However, the role will be a rewarding one as you help to protect fish and fisheries and can benefit an individual’s CV, supporting job applications as an example of supporting public services through volunteering.

I hope to hear from you soon but in any case, if you intend to apply for the induction day in February, please let me have your application forms back by Friday 11th December 2015 at the latest please, so that I can start the planning and administrative process.

Regards

Kevin Pearson BA(Hons)

Mob. 07495 433620
Regional Enforcement Manager (Midlands)
Angling Trust

http://anglingtrust.net

The Angling Trust is the national representative and governing body for angling in England. It is united in a collaborative relationship with Fish Legal, a separate membership association that uses the law to protect fish stocks and the rights of its members throughout the UK. Joint membership packages with Fish Legal are available for individuals, clubs, fisheries and other categories.

Office: 01905 420441
Take nothing but memories,leave nothing but footprints.

Return to “Club Related”